Saturday, March 8, 2014

Beet Pickled Eggs 紅菜頭糖醋蛋






Lately I like to experiment on using different natural food or herbs to tint eggs.  Last week, I cooked the unshelled boiled egg in a cup of water plus two teaspoons of paprika for 5 minutes.  The strong smell of the boiling paprika wasn't very pleasant to me, but the eggs successfully turned florescent orange and they tasted fine.  My son ate the whole egg.


This week, Ethan wanted me to make some purple eggs (the new colour he just learned at preschool).  Purple eggs?  The only purple vegetables came to mind were eggplant and purple cabbage, but eggplant doesn't tint and purple cabbage will only make blue eggs.  


The beetroot pickled eggs I saw on TV suddenly popped in my head.  Yes, they are purple.  So, I made them as you can see.  The story behind the scene was that Ethan was amazed by the beautiful purple red colour, but he thought these cold and slightly tangy flavour eggs were not his taste.  After he finished all the raisins, he returned the whole plate of eggs to me.  Funny was that my husband and I fell in love with these new pickled treats, and decided immediately they have to be the must bring food for a picnic this summer.




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Beet Pickled Eggs 紅菜頭糖醋蛋



Ingredients:
5 Eggs
1 cup Beet Root, peeled and sliced
100 ml White Vinegar / Rice Vinegar
1 cup Water
2 tablespoons Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt


材料:
5 隻   雞蛋
1 杯   紅菜頭,切厚片
100 毫升   白醋 / 米醋
1 杯   水
2 湯匙   糖
1/4 茶匙   鹽



Instruction:





No comments:

Post a Comment